Mahamri,a classic Swahili snack.
Its light,sweet, a common accompaniment for tea or coffee in many Kenyan and Tanzanian homes. Try our recipe,let us know,because its addictive!
3 cups plain wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon instant yeast
6 tablespoons sugar
1 and half cup warm water
2 tablespoon oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and knead the dough very well(a mixer can save you the hassle with amazing result)
- cover and let rise for 40 minutes to 1 hour(do not exceed to avoid over fermentation)
- Roll your dough about 1 inch thick-too flat and the mahamri will not be nice and soft
- Cut the rolled out dough into triangular shapes,the size is to your preference
- Heat oil in a pan;enough to deep fry till hot
- Deep fry both sides till golden brown
- Serve and enjoy