These Dumplings are inspired by the Swahili Kaimati(Luqaimat among the Arab).They are really addictive, and make for great bitings.They are soft,sweet and yummy.Indulge.
3 cups flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
3 tbs sugar
2 cups warm milk or water
1 tbs oil
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
The consistency will be very thick(too thick for pancake but too sticky for bread or chapati dough,got it?right)
Put oil in a deep pan,enough oil to deep fry
Once the oil is hot,scoop using a teaspoon the flour mix and drop the scoop in your hot oil,using another spoon to completely unscoop the dough
Repeat the above step with the rest of the flour mix
Fry the dumplings till golden brown
Serve and enjoy!
Mahamri,a classic Swahili snack.
Its light,sweet, a common accompaniment for tea or coffee in many Kenyan and Tanzanian homes. Try our recipe,let us know,because its addictive!
3 cups plain wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon instant yeast
6 tablespoons sugar
1 and half cup warm water
2 tablespoon oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and knead the dough very well(a mixer can save you the hassle with amazing result)
- cover and let rise for 40 minutes to 1 hour(do not exceed to avoid over fermentation)
- Roll your dough about 1 inch thick-too flat and the mahamri will not be nice and soft
- Cut the rolled out dough into triangular shapes,the size is to your preference
- Heat oil in a pan;enough to deep fry till hot
- Deep fry both sides till golden brown
- Serve and enjoy